Sunday, January 14, 2007

Neither Mr. T nor I own a TV

Shocked? Don't be, I'll explain.

Whenever I was going through a difficult period in my life (layoff, body issues, bad marriage) I would use television as a means to avoid facing reality. Instead of dealing with the problem, I would sit in front of the tube for hours (sometimes 12 hours a day!) watching anything that would help deaden the pain and confusion I felt inside.

When I decided to reclaim my life one year ago, one of the changes I implemented was a future without television. I experienced withdrawals for a few days and craved the mind-numbing fog of an "I Love The 80's" marathon on VH1 or an all-day "Law & Order"-fest on TNT (or on 25 other channels, for that matter). My life was changing very quickly, living alone was scary, running a growing company was daunting, and it was tempting to run and hide among the characters whose lives made much more sense than mine did.

Little by little, I discovered that not only did I have the strength to face my problems, but that resolving them instead of quelling them by watching television left me with ample time to have...a life! *gasp*

I left behind an artificial cosmos where the things that matter most are the heft of your bank account, the firmness of your thighs, and the number of notches on your bedpost. I've since discovered a world where dreams really DO come true: a world where I can breathe underwater, discover new career paths, achieve the athletic goals I've always dreamed of, and even find a new love.

One of the first aspects that united Mr. T and me was the fact that we both shunned televisions. Among his many admirable traits, Mr. T has not had a television for almost 20 years! What kind of person would live without a TV for almost two decades, you ask? The answer is: a cultured, educated, nature-loving, athletic, romantic man...You know, they don't call it "boob tube" for nothing!

I am convinced that our relationship's incredible strength is due in large part to the absence of television. (Warning: Sap alert!) While other couples watch the Today show in the mornings, Mr. T and I go for a run on the beach. While other couples dine on take-out while watching sit-coms, we cook together and talk about our day. While other couples watch the evening news, we lay in each other's arms and discuss a future together. While other couples watch sports on Sundays, we spend the day rock climbing. (Sappy? Don't say I didn't warn you!)

If this isn't enough to convince you to decrease your tube-time and increase your life-time, consider this: "If there is no television in the bedroom, the frequency [of sex] doubles," says sexologist Serenella Salomoni, whose team of psychologists interviewed 523 Italian couples about how the tube affected their sex lives.

How's that for a motivating factor?

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger twobuyfour said...

Boooo-ring. How do you decide who to be when you have Role Playing Night if you don't have tv? Do you just pretend to be people from the neighborhood? How can you possibly stay INFORMED? For the love of all that is holy, what do you do during BASEBALL SEASON?!?!

3:22 AM  
Blogger Baja Babe said...

2x4: Easy, the Internets. ;)

8:49 AM  
Blogger EEK said...

That's so awesome. I haven't had cable for almost five years, and I was amazed at how quickly I adjusted. My only issue with not having a TV would be movies. There's nothing I love more than curling up on the couch on a Friday night to watch a movie, which is probably why I haven't had a date for several months.

10:20 AM  
Blogger TexInTheCity said...

You go, girl!

11:18 AM  
Blogger L said...

You've got me thinking here. Even though we only have one TV in our entire house, it's always on. I can totally veg out to "my super sweet 16" marathons or some other mindless crap. I don't think we could completely live without a TV, but we sure could cut way back on the time spend in front of it. Thanks!!

Leigh Ann

3:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home