Saturday, January 06, 2007

Mom-zillas

As I was driving to today's wedding I received a phone call from a very charming prospective client. We briefly discussed his wedding plans and I explained my range of services. He seemed quite pleased with what I had to say and had a reasonable budget, all of which made me extremely happy. Until...

"We're going back home tomorrow", said the groom.

"That's o.k.," said I, trying to downshift and make a U-turn all with one hand while sounding professional on my cell phone. "I will send you more information via e-mail and we can then set up a formal phone meeting to discuss your wedding plans."

That's when he dropped the bombshell.

"Actually, you'll be dealing mostly with my mother and my fiancee's mother during the planning process because they live in Mexico."

I almost drove off a cliff.

"Um, I don't think I'm available for that date." I mumbled.

"But we haven't determined a date yet!" said the confused groom.

"Oh...um...Right, well...I'll send you some information soon. Have a good weekend!!"

I hung up as fast as I could, trying to control the waves of nausea that developed at the thought of having to work with not one, but TWO Mexican wedding mothers! No amount of money is worth that type of torture!

5 Comments:

Blogger Maya said...

Ohhhh...la mamacitas Mexicanas! Rrrwwworr! Didn't you say you have to, um, help a colleage in SB that weekend? Bummer!

10:05 PM  
Blogger twobuyfour said...

Oh come now. How bad could they be? I've known many Hispanic women, many of them Mexican, and most of them mothers. They were almost all good people to be around.

Of course, I never had to plan a wedding with one of them.

7:05 AM  
Blogger Baja Babe said...

maya - ah, yes, the old SB excuse! Why didn't I think of that one??

2x4 - My dear, naive boy...Hell hath no fury like two Mexican mothers hell bent on planning "their" wedding. You see, it's like two brides competing to see who has better ideas. Not my idea of fun.

So, what I'm thinking is of charging double (since it'll be twice the work!). If they bite, great, I'll have made more money!!

7:29 AM  
Blogger Maya said...

Good plan...how do you get away with doing that without the mamas finding out and going ape***t?

12:36 PM  
Blogger Baja Babe said...

Simple, I'll just tell them that I charge according to the complexity of the event, and since they have 200+ guests I therefore MUST charge them more. I really don't want to take this wedding b/c they'll make me call Mexico City, which will be expensive. I don't think these mothers use e-mail and all my info is in English. *sigh*

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home