Saturday, October 21, 2006

Last wedding of the year!!!

I can't believe that the madness of 2006 is finally coming to an end. It all started in February with a shotgun wedding...I'm not joking, the bride was four months pregnant and the mother was in a frenzy to get her daughter properly wed before anyone other than family members discovered the proverbial bun in the oven. The bride wore purple, it was bitterly cold, I had separated from my husband about a week earlier, and after he officiated the ceremony he got sloshed on tequilas.

The rest of the year is a whirlwind of weddings, big and small, lavish and budget. Most clients went home happy, some were less than thrilled. I was taking my clients' displeasures very personally, until darling T. reminded me that in any service-oriented business, there will always be a small percentage of clients that will not be satisfied, no matter what you do.

This observation made me reflect on my hotel years. During management meetings we would review the latest quality control surveys, and no matter how hard we tried, there was always a small percentage of guests who were weren't able to please. Back then, it was only a number. Now, they are actual people and this is "the most important day of their lives". *sigh* I had to learn to build a thick skin and realize that as long as I was doing my best, a person's unrealistic expectations were out of my control.

I cannot believe I actually did over 30 weddings this year. "Burnt out" is an understatement. I'm doing at the most 12 next year (already have 10 booked!!) because there has to be more to life than work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home