Monday, January 15, 2007

Are you naughty or nice?

I remember going to the mall as a ten year-old girl and being fascinated by the Victoria's Secret store. My mother would spend hours among the striped pink walls and it was always a treat when I could accompany her. Everything in the store was frilly, satiny, silky, and soft. Fruity and floral scents wafted through the air while perfectly groomed salesgirls attended to my mother's every need. She would always leave the store with a cute-as-can-be striped pink bag, and I knew that when the time came, I would shop at Victoria's Secret, too.

Pink bag in hand, my mother and I would set out in search of my father and brother, who inevitably got lost in the mall. It would take us 30 minutes of walking in circles to find them (this was waaaaay back in the pre-cell phone age, in case you're wondering), and as we searched for them we'd pass by the "forbidden store", Frederick's of Hollywood. Corsets, garter belts, daring g-strings, crotchless panties, slit cup bras, thigh-high stockings, and marabou-covered stilettos decorated the store windows, and I remember eyeing these unfamiliar contraptions with childhood curiosity and even a slight feeling of contempt at the type of woman who would choose the crassness of Frederick's over the femininity of Victoria's Secret. (Who was this Frederick guy, anyways? I always imagined he was one of those sleazy Hollywood "photographers" who would tell women he could make them into models only to seduce them and con them out of their money.)

Fast forward 10 years. (Ok, 15. Ok, 20! Geez...) I've come to appreciate the seductive power of a tightly laced corset, the playfulness of peek-a-boo undies, and the commanding feeling I get when wearing stiletto heels. I still don't quite understand why the right piece of lingerie can bring a man to his knees, but let me tell you something: Frederick seems to have it down to a science!

So, girls and guys: Do you vote for Victoria or are you a fan of Frederick? (How's that for alliteration after a long workday?)

As for me, forget the pretty pink bag and give me fire-engine red any day!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Slim said...

I'm a Victoria's Secret girl myself. I like the pretty pink bag with the matching tissue paper and the classy sales ladies. My sister, on the other hand, is a Frederick's woman all the way. When we shop together we need to stop in each store.

4:47 AM  
Blogger EEK said...

I'm currently loyal to Victoria's Secret, but this is more due to the fact that it's familiar. Given the right circumstances, I wouldn't be opposed to entering into a little dalliance with Frederick's.

7:55 AM  
Blogger Maya said...

I'd be more of a Fredericks' girl IF they had a store nearby me (30 miles!) or better sales. That being said, we have this a-dor-able little shop called A Tropical Affair ($$$$$!)that I'd love to patronize, had I the cash. La Perla with stillettos, anyone?

4:12 PM  
Blogger Baja Babe said...

maya - Just FYI, they have good online sales. My boyfriend and I walked by La Perla and he innocently asked: Why don't you shop there? :)

5:41 PM  
Blogger Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Whichever one I can get to. We have both stores in The Florida Mall (which is like 30 miles away from me) in Orlando...but I really try to avoid going to Orlando at all costs...the traffic is ALWAYS horrendeous.

I think I'd just rather be naked...;)

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home