Friday, October 27, 2006

Nightmares every night? What's going on?

Over the past week I've had enough bad dreams to last me a lifetime. I told my acupuncturist that I had been waking up feeling tired and she immediately asked me if I was having very vivid dreams. "Vivid" is an understatement...

Last night I dreamed that I was asleep and was awoken by a noise coming from the kitchen. I grabbed a butter knife (?) that was sitting on my bedside table and slowly made my way to the kitchen. Waiting for me there was my ex-husband, weilding my huge chef's knife and saying he was going to kill me. I fought with him and woke up (for real this time) with a pounding heart and heavy breathing.

A couple of nights ago, I dreamed that I was driving in my SUV. The road had curves and I was managing just fine. Then, my pijama pants flew into my sun visor and got caught there, obstucting my view. I couldn't slow down and the car kept going faster and faster. I kept trying to look between the legs of the pijama pants, which kept flapping in my face. Suddenly, I saw a wall of solid rock rushing up to meet me and in the instant before I hit the rock wall I saw my life flash before my eyes. I saw maybe 10 flashes in what seemed like one second, and I felt myself exhale, knowing in my dream that I was about to die. I woke up with my heart pounding once again.

A few nights ago, I dreamed something so horrible that I screamed in my sleep and woke myself up. I can't remember what the dream was about, but the anguish and fear remain fresh in my mind.

What is going on? Will this ever stop?

2 Comments:

Blogger Mel said...

I think the transition you've just gone through could have some significance, don't you? A life change, even if it's just a piece of paper declaring that you are free of your ex-husband probably has deep-reaching subconscious ramifications. I always have nightmares when I go through change like that.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Baja Babe said...

Several people have told me the same thing, Mel. Thanks for the observation. Did you totally freak out when you quit your job? That was gutsy! I hope these stupid dreams go away soon...Not fun at all!

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home